Before I say a thing, please read the list in light of the following:
(1) I have not yet seen Django Unchained, as it isn't out in SA yet. Without needing to see it, I can almost guarantee that it would be my number one movie of 2012.
(2) I have cheated a little, by including 2012 movies I saw in the first days of 2013. So what.
(3) Movies like Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Les Miserables, Seven Psychopaths, Holy Motors and Amour, all of which stand a good chance of making the list by the looks of things, have not been seen either. I live in South Africa.
(4) It's always interesting to view something in context. Consider the list in light of my top 10 most anticipated movies for 2012:
- Django Unchained
- The Hobbit
- The Master
- The Dark Knight Rises
- Cloud Atlas tied w/ Gravity
- Seven Psychopaths
- Rust & Bone
- You're Next
In the list above, I have not seen Seven Psychopaths and Stoker, Gravity and You're Next are being released this year only.
The Top 10
|10. The Avengers. This movie was too much fun not to be in the top 10. And, ranking at number 16 on the most anticipated list, it beat out all the other blockbusters.|
|9. Dredd. This thing wasn't even ranked, but it was a violent, grungy, stylish surprise. Can't wait to see it again!|
|8. Sleep Tight. I saw this nasty piece of work twice in quick succession it was so good. Plus, it was ranked only 49th. See it!|
|7. Searching for Sugar Man. What an amazing story - made me extremely proud to be South African. Unranked as well.|
|6. The Cabin in the Woods is one of the smartest, funniest, craziest horrors I have ever seen. And it comes up from a ranking as low as 46!|
|5. Argo. We thought it was good, but looks like it was even better! Ben Affleck is a serious talent. It was ranked 15th.|
|4. Cloud Atlas is the first of the top 10 rankers that lived up to it's ranking, climbing from number 6. It's ambitious, confusing, moving and all round brilliant.|
|3. Life of Pi was risky I suppose, and so it ranked only 45th. But it was beautiful!|
|2. Rust & Bone. I knew this would be good, and it was. Awesome. It ranked 8th.|
The following movies may not have made the top 10, but they were still pretty damn good. Many of the seriously high rankers end up here (ie, were disappointing but still good). Oh, the most anticipated ranking is in brackets.
- Prometheus (5). Note: after the first viewing I would have guaranteed a top 10 spot, but the second time it seemed kinda crap.
- The Dark Knight Rises (4). Note: was this really that good? I'm still torn. And pissed that it got not a single Oscar nomination.
- Beasts of the Southern Wild (N/A)
- Killer Joe (N/A)
- End of Watch (N/A)
- Skyfall (43)
- The Hobbit (2: maybe I'm being harsh here)
- The Master (3: ultimately I was left unsatisfied)
- The Queen of Versailles (N/A)
The Best Non-2012 Movies
As the title suggests, these were the best movies I saw which were not released in 2012. In no particular order. Make sure you see them sometime.
- 12 (the Russian 12 Angry Men remake)
- We Need To Talk About Kevin
- Bad Boy Bubby
- Tyrannosaur (possible the best overall of 2012)
- The Protector
That's about it. Do you agree? Which were your favourites?